Satellite Forms is a visual integrated software development environment (IDE) that makes it easy to create custom applications for Palm OS and Pocket PC devices. Satellite Forms allows you to create usable, real-world applications without writing a single line of code. Even more sophisticated applications require minimal scripting or coding to implement.
Using Satellite Forms, you can create mobile applications that access valuable information from company databases-for example, customer orders or contact information. You can design applications to be read-only or to allow users add or update data that can then be transferred back to a company database.
A desktop application you create directs how Satellite Forms applications and data are processed by ActiveSync for Pocket PC devices or Palm HotSync Manager for Palm OS devices. This means you have complete control over downloading data to the handheld and reintegrating the handheld data back into a database.
You can use Satellite Forms to create applications for many tasks, including the following:
- Sales automation
- Field service
- Health care
- Inventory control
- Market research
- And much more!
The Satellite Forms applications you create provide several benefits to your end users and to your company or client. They make important and useful database information portable and easy to access. They make data entry and verification fast and accurate. They reduce costs by cutting down on paperwork and eliminating the need for re-keying information.
Satellite Forms has four main components:
- MobileApp Designer: The visual integrated development environment (IDE) you use to design the forms and tables of your applications. MobileApp Designer allows you to create applications with multiple forms and tables.
- The Conduit: Manages the transfer of data to and from handheld devices and the desktop.
- The Satellite Forms ActiveX control: Works with HotSync or ActiveSync technology to simplify integration with database applications.
- The Satellite Forms Engine: Runs Satellite Forms applications on handhelds.
Satellite Forms uses the industry standard dBase and Microsoft Access formats to transfer information between desktop and handheld devices, making the applications you create using Satellite Forms compatible with the leading database products. Satellite Forms also enables direct data transfer between handheld devices and servers using two-tier connectivity (sold separately).
Satellite Forms is licensed on a per-developer basis. The handheld applications and conduits you create with Satellite Forms are royalty-free. You can utilize Satellite Forms to create an unlimited number of applications, distributed to an unlimited number of handheld users.
Satellite Forms supports a wide range of device on these platforms:
- PalmOS 3.5 and higher, including PalmOS Garnet 5.x
- Microsoft Pocket PC 2002/2003/2003SE
- Microsoft Windows Mobile 5.0 for PocketPC, including Phone Edition
- Microsoft Windows Mobile 6.0 Classic and Professional
- Microsoft Windows CE.NET 4.2 and higher
Windows Mobile devices that do not have a touchscreen are not supported by Satellite Forms.